August 22nd of every year is a day set aside to celebrate the blessing of a rice delicacy called Jollof. It has steadily rise to become king of foods at occasions such as child dedications, weddings, birthdays and more.
However, as the controversy about which country’s jollof in Africa should be crowned king, Nigeria Jollof remain one of the most-sought after delicacy.
Here are five facts we have gathered about Jollof:
1. The origin of Jollof rice can be traced to the Senegambian region that was ruled by the Jolof empire.
2. Jollof rice was originally a fish-based recipe , now it stands tall as a chickens garnished delicacy.
3. One of the most vigorous Jollof rice rivalries is between Nigeria and Ghana
4. Jollof rice in Africa inspired the Jambalaya (American Jill of)
5. The delicacy has a traditional dance performed in its honor in the wolof empire.
So in the spirit of celebration today, share a plate of Jollof with a loved one.